Saturday, August 24, 2013

Monologue Madness

Presenting:


I made a total fool of myself. But it was all for a good cause! This week in Act Now Studio's comedy acting class, I delivered my very first.....

...Monologue...



I sucked. It's not that I didn't bust my lady balls practicing and prepping.... it's just that I've had ZERO prior coaching on  monologues specifically and am a beginner (gosh, that word chaps my hide!).

The class and instructor were very kind to me, but gave precise and decisive feedback confirming what I knew - imma total newbie!

So here's why I'm sharing this with you: I could see this "failure" coming from a long way away. All week, even after making serious progress understanding the reversals, antitheticals, point of view, and voice, I KNEW in my core that my best effort would still fall drastically short of my usual expectation of elegant, timeless....

...Perfection...


No pressure, right?! Standing in front of an inevitable outcome of "insufficient" and allowing my ego and mind to stay malleable to the learning process is taxing. Everything in me wanted to run away from the growth-producing stress and back toward the calm, soothing water's of Tara's Comfort Zone. But I didn't.

Nothing too earth shattering came of it acting-wise - that will take years of dedicated practice before I even scratch the surface of acting competency! - but I took HUGE risks and strengthened my humility muscle. Along with actively accepting life outside of the normal, the comfortable, the competent.

Pertinent pic shared by Shara and Nancy from the outstanding Queen of Your Own Life

So, how have you stretched yourself and done something that FREAKED you? Please comment below and share with us what's worked for you! :) Keep being awesome and I'll talk to ya soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment