Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pink, Blue, and White Flowering NW Native Plants

Spring Flowers


Today is a surprisingly warm day for March. Usually, plants aren't breaking bud yet, but take a look-see at the bright spring flowers I found on this weeks hike! 

Red Flowering Currant - Ribes sanguineum

I don't know why this shrub isn't planted. Around more homes and businesses for its rich pink floral clusters! Super lovely. Hummingbirds kill for it. It does grow up pretty shrubby (like the size of a refrigerator).






And here is the white-flowering sister Ribes indecorum with much looser and smaller clusters. It's always a treat to find a native with larger flower displays - so many wild plants have small, inconspicuous flowers for insects to pollinate. 


And this little treasure is a Blue Buttons - Cynoglossum grande. Just growing away happy as can be beneath a hillside of Oak on a SW facing slope.
Kinda makes your heart light just to see them.



If you have a favorite spring flower in bloom right now, comment-up! I'd love to hear.

4 comments:

  1. So pretty! Unfortunately, living in NYC I don't have room to make my own garden. But i wish central park looked like this right now!

    I'd love it if you would also check out my blog: http://afashionneverland.blogspot.com/ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline - I'm glad you like the pictures! Incidentally, I'm putting together a beautiful leaflet for you guys showing the best native plants to use on your patios or balconies! Perhaps that would be useful?

    I would be delighted to peruse your blog.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg - these flowers are all so pretty!
    xo,
    Al
    www.sparklesandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wildflowers are my favorite!! All of them. :) I need a hike, stat!

    ReplyDelete